Fast your seat belts! Short runways, steep slopes or unpredictable winds. There are airports where pilots and passengers alike have to have nerves like wire ropes for their approach.
Toncontin International Airport in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
The airport of the Honduran capital is clearly one of the 10 most dangerous airports in the world. Seven people died here in 2008 after an Airbus A320-200 sped over the runway, which was just two kilometers long.
Funchal Airport auf Madeira, Portugal
Only pilots who have received special instruction are allowed to touch down on the runway, which is partly only supported by stilts, directly on the cliff. Only when you, as a passenger, have the feeling of crashing on the mountainside, does the pilot turn to the right at the last moment to descend.
Barra Airport, Scotland
On the Scottish island, the beach in the shallow bay of Traigh Mhòr also forms the runway. When the tide sets in, the entire beach or runway area is flooded.
Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar
For reasons of space, the runway on the Iberian Peninsula, which is just under 2000 meters long, runs over the middle of a main road. For every take-off and landing maneuver, the road traffic must be brought to a complete standstill by a complete block.
Tenzing-Hillary Airport Lukla, Nepal
A runway just 527 meters long with a 12 percent incline, a 600-meter-deep abyss at the end of the runway and extreme weather conditions also make this place one of the 10 most dangerous airports in the world. Advantage: If you have survived a landing on this airfield in one piece, you will not be deterred by the ascent of Mount Everest.
Courchevel Airfield, France
007 sends his regards. This airport, which has already served as a backdrop for two James Bond films, is located in the middle of the French ski area, at a height of 2007 meters. With a length of only 537 meters and an enormous gradient of 18.5 percent, machines are only allowed to land uphill here.
Princess Juliana International Airport on St. Maarten, Caribbean
As a bather, you live dangerously here. Larger planes such as the Boeing 747 land just a few meters above the beach and often throw up stones or break car windows.
Reagan National Airport in Washington D.C., USA
The capital’s airport is located between two closely guarded no-fly zones. When trying to land, the pilot should try not to get too close to adjacent buildings such as the Pentagon or the CIA headquarters.
Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport on Saba, Netherlands Antilles
Is it an aircraft carrier? No, it is actually an airport. It is not possible to roll the machine over the 396 meter long runway because the cliffs at both ends of the runway fall straight into the sea.
Paro Airport, Bhutan
The airport at an altitude of 2236 meters in the lower Paro Valley can only be approached by sight. In the rough terrain between the forested mountains of the Himalayas, you have to rely entirely on your pilot’s flying skills.
- Africa Environment
- America Overview
- Asia Population
- Asia Religion
- Brazil Travel Package
- Central America Geography
- Ecuador History and Culture
- Moldova a Time Travel to a Different World
- Morocco As a Destination Country
- Morocco Destinations
- Practical Travel Information for Your Trip to Sweden
- Saint Barthelemy The Art of Living
- Sri Lanka Travel Package
- Switzerland Destinations
- The Best of Mauritius
- Travel to Europe
- Versatile Mauritius
- Blairsburg, Iowa May 29, 2023 - Blairsburg, Iowa is a small town located in the northeastern part of the state, just ten miles from the Minnesota border. The town sits on the banks of the Cedar… Read more
- Broward County, Florida May 22, 2023 - Broward County, Florida is located in the southeastern region of the state along the Atlantic Coast. It is bordered by Miami-Dade County to the south and Palm Beach County to… Read more
- Baldwin County, Georgia May 15, 2023 - Baldwin County is located in the central part of Georgia, just east of Atlanta. It encompasses an area of 574 square miles, making it the fourth largest county in the… Read more
- Kauai County, Hawaii May 8, 2023 - Kauai County, Hawaii is the northernmost of the Hawaiian Islands. It is located on the island of Kauai and is made up of five main areas: Waimea, Hanalei, Lihue, Koloa… Read more
- Bannock County, Idaho May 1, 2023 - Bannock County is located in southeastern Idaho, covering an area of 2,105 square miles. The county is bordered by Caribou County to the north and Franklin County to the east.… Read more
- Avilla, Indiana Population, Schools and Places of Interest April 17, 2023 - Avilla, Indiana is a small town located in Noble County, just south of Fort Wayne. It is surrounded by a number of other cities and towns that offer plenty of… Read more
- Agency, Iowa Population, Schools and Places of Interest April 15, 2023 - Agency, Iowa is a small city located in Wapello County that has a population of around 2,000 people. It is located just off of Highway 34 and is bordered by… Read more
- Burley, Idaho April 10, 2023 - According to jibin123, Burley, Idaho is a small city located in Cassia County, in the south-central part of the state. The city lies along Interstate 84 and is situated on… Read more
- Alexander County, Illinois April 3, 2023 - Alexander County, Illinois is located in the south-central region of the state, close to the border with Kentucky. The county is bordered by Union and Johnson counties to the north… Read more
- Adams County, Indiana March 27, 2023 - Adams County, Indiana is located in the east-central part of the state and is bordered by Wells, Jay, Blackford, Delaware and Grant counties. It has an estimated population of 34,000… Read more